4 Favorite Daytrips From the Capital Region! Want To Go?
With a holiday weekend upon us this would be a great time for a day trip! Destination unknown! Pick a direction and go! North, South, East or West!
I will help you with starter suggestions on where to go. These are some of my favorite daytrips from the Capital Region. With the average gas price sitting just under $5/gallon I will keep these destinations within 2 hours from Albany.
NORTH - Lake George Village is the first place that might come to mind but that can be too crowded during the Summer season. I am suggesting Bolton Landing, which is on Lake George and has shops and restaurants but a bit more chill. Here are 2 "must see" stops in town.
- Lakeview Antiques - Located on Lakeshore Drive. Walk up the driveway next to Lakeshore Trading Company to find antiques inside and outside. Sure to take you back.
- The Sagamore Resort - Even if you aren't a guest of the resort you owe it to yourself to take a walk around the property. Stunning!
SOUTH - Rhinebeck, NY is a charming Hudson Valley town close to the historic mansions along the Hudson River including the Vanderbilt Mansion and the home of Franklin D. Roosevelt. Here are 2 "must See" stops.
- Samuel's Sweet Shop - 42 East Market Street - This is the candy store owned by Actors Paul Rudd, Jeffrey Dean Morgan and Hilarie Burton Morgan.
- Megabrain Comics and Arcade - Be sure to go all the way back to the arcade and check out the vintage pinball machines!
EAST - Wilmington, VT is just over the Vermont border and very close to Mount Snow. This is another charming town with boutiques, antiques and is exactly what you picture a New England town to be like. Here are 2 "must see" stops.
- 1836 Country Store - 28 West Main Street, celebrating more than 50 years in business! You will find everything and anything in this classic store.
- 1864 Tavern inside the West Dover Inn. Great food, good people.
WEST - Cooperstown, NY, dubbed "America's Hometown" is a great destination even if you don't like baseball. Glimmerglass State Park is awesome but here are my "must see" stops.
- National Baseball Hall of Fame - At least 1 time in your life you need to visit the shrine to our national pastime.
- Brewery Ommegang - Whether you go for a concert in their natural amphitheater or you grab a brew with friends, this is the definition of a chillin' in New York state.