If you’ve been smelling that stank a$$ odor in Cohoes, there’s no need to worry according to officials. The putrid stench is attributed to an overheated chemical tank at Norlite Corp, according to Joseph Fahd.

The Fire Chief released a quote to the Times Union, assuring that the oder was no danger to the public. The smell is instigated by “mercaptan”, which is used to determine whether or not there is a gas leak. The organic compound has a sulfur-like stench, you know, kind of like your Grandmother’s farts after a tall glass of chocolate milk.

Residents are encouraged to keep windows closed in their homes until the smell goes away. Keeping your air conditioner off will also help keep the smell from entering your home.