Harriet Tubman to Replace Jackson on 20 Dollar Bill
Treasury Secretary Jack Lew will announce plans to keep Alexander Hamilton on the front of the $10 bill, and to knock Andrew Jackson off the front of the $20 bill in favor of Harriet Tubman.
– Tubman “returned to the South an estimated 19 times” to lead slaves to freedom to the North via the Underground Railroad.
– During the Civil War, Union soldiers relied on Tubman, who served as a spy and scout, to “guide them when poorly drawn and outdated maps could not.”
– The Quaker Thomas Garrett said of her, “If she had been a white woman, she would have been heralded as the greatest woman of her age.”
– After the war, Tubman “advocated for education and property for freed slaves in the South and she cared for the elderly and poor.”
– After her death in 1913, she was nicknamed “General Tubman” “and laid to rest with military honors –- one of the first recorded African-American women to serve in the military.”
I think Harriet Tubman is one of the most powerful women in US History -- she literally escaped from slavery multiple times. She was involved so heavily in the Civil War, the US Government actually gave her a military funeral. Andrew Jackson, on the other hand, was a known racist and led the infamous Trail of Tears that killed thousands of Native Americans.
The new designs for the bills should be ready by 2020. The Treasury is likely to ask the Federal Reserve, which makes the final decision, to speed up the process and get the bills into circulation as quickly as possible.
How do you feel about the new bills?